James L. Williams Middle East
Pre Fabrication Capabilities
Since 2015 JLW has prefabricated, or has in production over 40,000 off-site prefabricated MEP modules. All of our prefabrication drawings are developed in-house by a dedicated prefabrication design team.
Each prefab module is generated in Revit MEP and is 100% co-ordinated with our MEP shop drawing models produced in collaboration with our centralized MEP design and engineering team.
JLW started implementing off-site prefabrication in 2015, when we looked at reducing our historical overspends on material and labour. We quickly learnt that our business benefited greatly after we implemented of-site prefabrication for these reasons and more;
- Enhance on-site labour management and productivity
- Programming and production can be accurately calculated and determined
- Management and deployment of on-site labour
- Reduces build and installation times
- Reduction of on-site plant hire and equipment cost
- Reduces waste material on site
- Health and Safety efficiencies are improved Integrity of the product / design solution
- Quality of product and installation guaranteed
- Reduced requirement for site checks / inspections
- Helps to eliminate co-ordination issues
On all our projects, JLW offer a complete in-house prefabrication design team dedicated to generate all the prefabricated module drawings, required for a project, from the Revit model by our engineering BIM team. These fabrication drawings are subsequently released to our prefabrication sub-contractors who will build these modules off site.
Once the prefab modules are complete they are delivered to site and installed by a dedicated, trained and experienced MEP module installation team. The modules are all set out, at site, using the latest technology in 3D digital mapping with all points generated from our co-ordinated BIM model.
Based on our historical data for the productivity rates using MEP prefab modules we estimate that we will reduce the total number of required man-hours, to install the same services when compared to conventional, by circa 40-60%.
40,000 prefab modules in 5 years.
One prefabricated MEP module averages 6 meters in length, with each module consisting of multi-tier supports housing between 5 and 10 service runs.
We have therefore installed close to 900Km worth of prefabricated services that would have otherwise been fabricated and installed individually on site.
JLW MEP Prefabrication Module Types
Horizontal Distribution Modules
Vertical Riser modules
Chilled Water Pipework Modules
Apartment and Guest Room - Fan Coil Unit Modules
Prefabrication Design Methodology
- Set-up BIM Model
- Identify modular potential within the project
- Establish principles of co-ordination
- Construction documentation and 3D layouts preparations
- Align co-ordination with programme & resources
- Produce Fabrication drawings and Approvals
- Minimal / no change to the original design is maintained
- Site survey and logistics plan prior to fabrication of MEP Modules.
- Ensure all design material and method of construction and installation comply to site conditions
- Statics Load Calculations for integrity of the installation.
- Fabrication of MEP modules strictly deploying the safe and best approved construction practices in pleasant and controlled environment
- Using state of art machine tools, fixtures and material handling equipment.
- Safe and secure transportation and installation of Modules to site as per project quality plans.
- Connectivity with the system, Testing, Commissioning and handing over to site team.